How the so-called moderate Muslims are part of the problem of Islamic extremism and terrorism...
We all remember a fateful day of September 11, 2001, when 19 Muslim men, proclaiming the greatness of Allah, "Allahu Akbar", acted on the dictates of their faith.
But, do you ever recall loud denouncements from all Islamic institutions that soundly rebuked these hotheads? Do you remember if mosques, from Quetta to Cairo, repudiated Osama Bin Laden, and ever issued fatwas against Mullah Omar? Do you marvel at the facts that 99% of Muslims, who call themselves “moderates”, ever swiftly showed their solidarity with the western world, making the remaining 1% (”extremists”) outcaste and pariah of the society?
Hmmmmm… Me neither!
Nevertheless, I do remember bellicose statements, that could ever be called upon the discourse, to exempt Islam from all actions taken in its very name. I do remember a sizable population of Muslims calling it an inside job by the Bush Administration, or a Jewish plot --- a conspiracy theory still believed by large masses of Muslims. And of those Muslims, who believed it was a Muslim act, I do remember them telling that Islam is unquestionably a “Religion of Peace and universal-brotherhood”, and that some disgruntled youths, misguided by the mullahs, were exploited to inflict harm upon us, and bring dishonor upon the glorious name of Islam. Whatever we do, we ought not to hold Islam liable?
Moderate Muslims’ Silent as a tomb!
I did not see any of those good moderate Muslims, who are so touchy about an unkind word directed at Islam, were ever outraged at the fact that Muslim youths had besmirched Islam’s glory. I did not even see these same moderate Muslims being infuriated at Osama bin Laden for insinuating that bin Laden was driven by the true Islamic faith; they never called for Mullah Omar's expulsion from Pakistan. I also did not see these same moderate Muslims ever pressure the Pakistani establishments to expel the masterminds of the 1999 hijackings or even Dawood Ibrahim or the members of Lashkar-e-Tayyeba, who authored carnage in New Delhi and Mumbai. I did not see these moderate Muslims to pressure Saudi Arabia and the UAE to terminate their diplomatic relations with the Taliban and to their funding of Jihadi outfits in Pakistan. These moderate Muslims just stood by in pious silence!